Monday, December 30, 2013

Times I said the F-word while hiking the Inka Trail

In my head, out loud, in frustration, in awe - I bring you a complete compilation.
1. When I registered that I would be spending the next 96 hours straight eating and sleeping and hiking and living with my family (what can I say, I'm 18).
2. When I maintained a 45 minute conversation in Spanish with our guide about the history of the Inkas - and then he complimented my grammar.
3. Halfway up the first hill at an altitude of 3000 meters (9800 feet)
4. At 1:10pm on the first day when we feasted on vegetable soup, chicken with aji, rice, fresh bread, and coca tea.
5. When we started hiking again after the feast.
6. Lying down for a two hour nap after arriving at our campsite.
7. Returning to the tent after going to the bathroom and my brother had taken off his hiking boots.
8. The first sip of hot tea at 5:30 in the morning.
9. Two hours into one of the steepest uphill hikes I've done, and the guide saying we're almost halfway up.
10. When we arrived at the top of the pass (13,800 ft) and I swore I could see the entire Andes mountain range.
11. When my knees shook the whole way down the pass.
12. Arriving at our campsite at noon.
13. When I lost Presidents, the card game, after being president 6 rounds straight. And my whole family cheered.
14. Standing on top of the ruins of Phuyupatamarka, a fortress pressed into the mountainside with hidden stairways, ceremonial baths, and watchtowers, without another tourist in sight.
15. When someone shook our tent at 3:00am to tell us it was time to wake up - and it was pouring rain.
16. Descending hundreds of Inka-made stone steps under the light of a headlamp. Still in the pouring rain.
17. Shining my flashlight upward to find ruins towering eerily and magnificently above me.
18. Arriving at Sun Gate after 4 hours of hiking and catching my first glimpse of Machu Picchu.
19. Knowing that I was finally done hiking.
20. When my mom reminded us that we had passes to hike Waynapicchu, another hour-long hike straight up to the top of the small mountain overlooking Machu Picchu.
21. When we beasted it to the top in 25 minutes, and for a moment were on top of the world.
22. When I got on the train back to Cusco and slept the whole way.
23. When I looked back through the pictures I had taken and realized what I had just experienced.

2 comments: