Tuesday, September 17, 2013

How I Got Into Guatemala

The following conversation has been translated from broken Spanish to broken English.

Customs officer: "You don't have a return ticket?"
Eliza: "No sir, I go to Guatemala for less than three months and after I travel to Peru."
CO: "What are you doing in Guatemala?"
Eliza: "I am going to study Spanish and do service."
CO: "You're not going to earn money?"
Eliza: "No sir."
CO: Points at ukulele in my hand. "Not even with that?"
Eliza: "No, it's not possible."
CO: "Why not?"
Eliza: "Because I am really really bad at it. Probably the worst in this airport, possibly in all of Guatemala."
CO: Laughs, stamps my passport, and waves me on.

Bienvenidos a Guatemala!

3 comments:

  1. Ha that is a great story already!! I am sure you made his day :) I was once almost forced to buy a custom officer's homemade chocolates to get into Columbia but I must have looked so confused she let me slide with only moderate angry pestering. I hope you have an amazing time in Guatemala!! - Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful introduction to a new country. you should have kept his name, ID# and etc... in case you need him in a pinch to vouch for your awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got a customs agent with a sense of humor! They are hard to find sometimes...

    ReplyDelete